|Pet Home Funeral Wake|
The Backyard Burial Company aids families in loving tributes to their pets as well as pet funerals, burial and cremation.
When a pet dies, preparing a home funeral vigil can be a healing way to say farewell.
Bringing loved ones together to acknowledge the years of happy memories with your pet, brings us both peace and closure and allows the healing process to begin.
While some families choose to lay out their pet to view, others may prefer to hold the vigil with their pet safely inside his/her casket (as shown above).
Here are some tips and traditions to help you create a meaningful, spiritual and touching tribute to your beloved pet.
- Flowers - We use flowers to decorate and beautify the casket, altar and grave space. White flowers are reminiscent of heaven. Yellow flowers symbolize earth. Purple flowers are used for mourning.
- Photos - Remind us of our beloved pet, happier times and cherished memories. Set up several favorite photos around the wake/altar.
- Pet Treats and Toys - Arrange your pets favorite toys and treats as part of the altar to remind you what he/she loved best.
- Pet Blankets and Sweaters - Inside the casket, lay your pet upon his/her favorite blanket. Some families prefer to dress their pet in his/her favorite sweater. Others may tuck the pets clothes or blankets inside the casket with their beloved pet. Your pet's favorite blanket may also be draped atop the casket for a personalized look and cozy feel.
- Colored-Paper Cut-outs - Draw and cut out shapes that remind you of your pet.
- Incense - Burning incense not only fills your home with pleasant smells, but is also used to promote healing. Although any fragrance of incense is part of a meaningful tribute to your pet, certain fragrances are associated with healing properties: amber, carnation, cedar, cinnamon, citron, citronella, cypress, eucalyptus, gardenia, honeysuckle, juniper, lavender, lemon, lotus, myrrh, peppermint, pine, rose, rosemary, sandalwood, and violet.
Are you in the Portland area? Please contact The Backyard Burial Company.
We aid families with pet funerals, pet burial and cremation. Let us know how we can help: 503-512-0755.